The Lauretan litany is the prayer or plea that is made to the Virgin Mary, the most holy mother of Jesus Christ, to invoke all the saints, it has become customary to sing them when a person is sick or is going through a life or death situation.
The litanies of the Holy Rosary
What is the rosary ? It is a prayer that has become habitual for Catholic people, with it they seek to exalt the Virgin Mary. The litany of the Holy Rosary, is also called the Lauretan litany, it is a succession of invocations that are enhanced for the mother of the son of God Mary.
It was Pope Clement who assigned victory to the manifested devotion to Our Lady of the Rosary which is celebrated on October 7. at first it was called Our Lady of Victories and later the pope modified her name a little, they remain as Our Lady of the Rosary. In the Catholic Church it is said that the Virgin Mary made 15 promises to those who are faithful to the Holy Rosary, some of the most mentioned are:
- 7 of the 15 promises of the Virgin Mary:
- Whoever serves me, praying my Rosary daily, will receive whatever grace he asks of me.
- The soul that commends itself for the Rosary will not perish.
- Soon I will free from purgatory the souls devoted to the rosary.
- The true children of my Rosary will enjoy a singular glory in heaven.
- Everything that is asked of me through the rosary will be achieved quickly.
- I will help those who spread my rosary in all their needs.
- Devotion to the holy rosary is a manifest sign of predestination to glory
How to pray a rosary in just 4 steps
There are people who are used to praying in church, but sometimes we need peace and serenity to be intimate with the Lord, which is why I will leave you step by step so that you can perform the rosary from the comfort of your home:
Step 1: We start
Hold on to your rosary, make the sign of the holy cross.
“By the sign of the Holy Cross, deliver us from our enemies Lord, our God. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen”.
Step 2: Use the Cross
Using the cross that is at the end of your rosary. You will realize the Apostles’ Creed.
“I believe in God, the almighty Father, creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the work and grace of the Holy Spirit, was born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under the power of Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried, descended into hell, on the third day he rose from the dead, ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty. From there he is to come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and eternal life. Amen”.
Step 3: The accounts
With the rosary in your hands, you will take the first pearl and pray an Our Father, the other 3 pearls will be for the Mary birds and finally this first group of the rosary ends with the Glory.
- Our father
“Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be your Name; let your kingdom come; Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread; forgive our offenses, as we also forgive those who offend us; lead us not into temptation and deliver us from evil. Amen”.
- Ave Maria
“God save you, Maria; full of grace; the Lord is with you; Blessed are You among all women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen”.
“Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, now and forever, and to the ages of ages. Amen”.
Step 4 : The mysteries of the rosary
The mysteries are prayed for days when we meet is a ritual. Then, information begins with the corresponding and reflection is made.
At the end of each ministry, an Our Father, 10 Hail Marys, a Glory Be and the Fatima Prayer are made:
“O Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell and guide all souls to Heaven, especially those who need your mercy the most.”
- Mysteries of Monday and Saturday
- The Incarnation of the Son of God.
- The Visitation of Our Lady to Saint Elizabeth.
- The Birth of the Son of God.
- The Presentation in the temple and the purification of the Blessed Virgin.
- The Loss of the Child Jesus and his finding in the temple.
- Mysteries of Tuesday and Friday
- The Prayer of Our Lord in the Garden.
- The Flagellation of the Lord.
- The Crowning with Thorns.
- The Way of Mount Calvary.
- The Crucifixion and Death of Our Lord.
- Mysteries of Wednesday and Sunday
- The Resurrection of the Lord.
- The Ascension of the Lord.
- The Descent of the Holy Spirit on Mary and the apostles.
- The Assumption of Our Lady into Heaven.
- The Coronation of the Blessed Virgin.
- thursday mysteries
- The Baptism of Jesus in the Jordan.
- The self-revelation of Jesus at the wedding at Cana.
- The announcement of the Kingdom of God inviting conversion.
- The Transfiguration.
- The institution of the Eucharist.
We finish the rosary and after the 5 ministries the final prayer is said and the litany of the holy rosary is read and prayed.
the final prayer of the Hail:
“God save you, Queen and Mother of mercy, life, sweetness and our hope; God saves you. To You we call the exiled children of Eve; to You we sigh, moaning and crying, in this valley of tears. Ea, then, Lady, our lawyer, return to us those your merciful eyes; and after this exile show us Jesus, blessed fruit of your womb. Oh most merciful, oh pious, oh sweet always Virgin Mary! She prays for us, Holy Mother of God, that we may be worthy of achieving the promises of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen”.
The history of Lauretan litany
The history of the litany arises from the beginnings of Christianity. The litanies were considered as the prayers made by the priests and their faithful, these prayers were normally made in heavenly manifestations. The prayers at first were made only to God, with the passing of the years petitions were added to different saints and even more to the Virgin Mary in the intercessions used from the seventh century.
In the oriental ceremony they were used from the third century. The structure of Marian litanies persecuted the structure of the frequent ones and those that are made for the saints. Are you wondering how they are done? For Mary is invoked three times: Sancta Maria, Sancta Dei Genetrix and Sancta Virgo Virginum. And after these, a series of prayers and praises are made for the Eastern patron saints that make up the origin of the next Marian litanies.
The origin found atmosphere in the fame of the work of the most venerable Virgin and was sung in one or another convent. This “Labora” was not something safe, they were quite changeable, it was based more on the statutes of the religion that intoned it.
The archaic litanies of Mary are found in the 12th century Mainz manuscript with the monbre of: “Litany of Domina Nostra Dei genenetrice Virgine Maria. Good time, today for what tribulation says it is”. «Latin- Sancta Maria». “Litany of Domina Our Dei Genenetrice Virgin Mary, Now it is good, you have to call every day for any kind of problem”
Over time, some titles were added to the Lauretan litany:
- In the year 1587 Pope Sixtus V, when the papal right was approved, in the Lauretan litany was added the prayer for the intercession of the “virgin in battle” of Lepanto and it was Pius V who included it.
- In the year 1656 they include the “queen” in Poland only.
- On September 12, 1846, “immaculate mother” is included and Pope Pius 4 makes it public for all Latin churches.
- In the year 1854, “queen conceived without sin” is included after the announcement of the dogma of the immaculate conception.
- In the year 1854 “queen of the holy rosary” by Leo XIII is included.
- In 1903, “mother of good advice” was included by Leo XIII himself, paying homage to the sanctuary.
- In the year 1854, “queen of the Holy Rosary” was included by Leo XIII.
- In 1951, “Queen Assumed into Heaven” by Pius XII is included.
- Included is “Queen of Peace” by Benedict XV in the course of the First World War.
- In the year 1965 “Mother of the Church” is included by Paul VI in the consummation of the Second Vatican Council.
- “Mother of Mercy” by John Paul II is included.
- In 1965, “Queen of the Family” by John Paul II is included, implying that understanding the family is an institution.
After the Second Vatican Council, the Catholic Church decided to publish the litany that refers to the documentation of Mary as the Lumen Gentium or the Marialis Cultus . In which it is clearly seen when referring to the Virgin Mary in the terms Lady, Queen and Mother and a ceremony is also held for her coronation and since this is the most current format published in 2002 by the Vatican in the Holy See her.
Prayer of the Lauretan Litany
“Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.
Christ, hear us.”
“God heavenly Father, have mercy on us.
God the Son, Redeemer of the world, have mercy on us.
God the Holy Spirit, have mercy on us.”
“Holy Trinity, one God.
Holy Mary, pray for us.
Holy Mother of God, pray for us.
Holy Virgin of virgins, pray for us.”
“Mother of Christ, pray for us.
Mother of the Church, pray for us.
Mother of divine grace, pray for us.
Most pure Mother, pray for us.
Most chaste mother, pray for us.
Mother ever virgin, pray for us.
Immaculate Mother, pray for us.
Kind mother, pray for us.
Admirable mother, pray for us.
Mother of good advice, pray for us.
Mother of the Creator, pray for us.
Mother of the Savior, pray for us.
Mother of mercy, pray for us.”
“Most prudent Virgin, pray for us.
Virgin worthy of veneration, pray for us.
Virgin worthy of praise, pray for us.
Powerful Virgin, pray for us.
Merciful Virgin, pray for us.
Faithful Virgin, pray for us.”
“Mirror of justice, pray for us.
Throne of wisdom, pray for us.
Cause of our joy, pray for us.”
“Spirit vessel, pray for us.
Vessel of honor, pray for us.
Distinguished vessel of devotion, pray for us.
Mystic rose, pray for us.”
“Tower of David, pray for us.
Ivory tower, pray for us.
House of gold, pray for us.
Ark of the Covenant, pray for us.
Gate of Heaven, pray for us.”
“Morning star, pray for us.
Health of the sick, pray for us.
Refuge of sinners, pray for us.
Comfort of the afflicted, pray for us.
Help of Christians, pray for us.”
“Queen of angels, pray for us.
Queen of the patriarchs, pray for us.
Queen of prophets, pray for us.
Queen of apostles, pray for us
Queen of martyrs, pray for us.
Queen of confessors, pray for us.
Queen of virgins, pray for us.
Queen of all saints, pray for us.
Queen conceived without original sin, pray for us.
Queen assumed into heaven, pray for us.
Queen of the Holy Rosary, pray for us.
Queen of the family, pray for us.
Queen of Peace, pray for us.”
“Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world, forgive us, Lord.
Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world, hear us, Lord.
Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world, have mercy on us.
Pray for us, Holy Mother of God, that we may be worthy of the promises of Our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Prayer to complete the Lauretan litany
My lord, my God,
We implore you to grant us,
Enjoy unceasing health of soul, mind and body,
and for the most holy intervention
of the venerable and perpetually Virgin Mary,
I want to be free from the sorrows and sadness of today’s life
and begin to delight in eternal joys.
Through Christ our Lord.Amen.
Hello! Let me enthusiastically introduce myself as a dedicated blogger fueled by an intense passion for meticulously crafting insightful and well-researched blogs. My mission revolves around providing you, dear readers, with a veritable treasure trove of invaluable information.