Being permanently grateful should be a philosophy of life. When we learn to be grateful, we allow ourselves to be ourselves, to value what we have and what we are. This time we will teach you through this article everything about gratitude, what it is, value, virtue, and much more, do not stop reading it, it will be very useful
What is gratitude?
It is gratitude, a feeling, an emotion or being prepared to recognize or thank for something that we receive or is about to materialize. Gratitude can be expressed through words or gestures, and since it is something internal to each individual, it cannot be forced to manifest.
Etymologically, the word gratitude derives from the Latin word “gratitudo”, which is made up of the root “gratus” which means pleasant ; and the suffix “tudo”, which is responsible for expressing the quality.
Gratitude does not expire, at the moment that the grateful person responds to the event. On the contrary, the feeling for the good received is maintained over time, since it is something that cannot be measured, eternal or invaluable. Let’s look at the following example, with which we can understand a little better than what we just mentioned: I will never stop being grateful for what my parents did for me to be a university professional .
As we see in the previous example, that feeling of being grateful to the parents will be there, it is something for life, because thanks to their efforts, today they can be considered a lucky child.
What is the value of gratitude?
Gratitude is considered as a value that has a social scope, for the simple reason that it forms a framework with other very similar values, such as the value of recognition of others, mutual gifts, being faithful, loyalty and friendship. And all this together, makes it possible to establish a love relationship, in a fairly broad sense.
For human beings, and therefore for human relationships, gratitude is of great importance. It implies that the parties involved establish periods in which to give and receive, in an equitable manner. And through this balance, a system of solidarity society can be established, a characteristic that denotes that gratitude is a virtue , since the individuals that comprise it are willing to do good.
- Gratitude is a set of positive emotions, which consist of staying focused on good experiences and being grateful for them.
- Allow that wake-up call to occur, and we realize the true value of everything that happens in our lives. Sometimes we take it for granted that comes with life itself and we do not appreciate that we can count on that good, for example, we take for granted the fact of having a house to live in, food, water, relatives, among others.
Importance of gratitude
The theme of gratitude and living through it, for many people find it very difficult, many question what should I do to live the value of gratitude ?, and it is simply enough to live it, because gratitude, in addition to making feel good, teaches us to make gratitude a habit of life.
As with other emotions we are exposed to, when we feel grateful it often has a huge effect on our lives. For example, gratitude to God causes us great joy in our hearts, because he made us part of this wonderful Creation.
- Being recipients of many positive emotions, allow us to expand the range of possibilities. In addition, skills and abilities are reinforced, so that we can learn and make the best decisions.
- Through positive emotions, negative emotions can be balanced.
- Human beings who have experienced the value of gratitude on a regular basis, and who also place a value on things, are happier, less stressed, and are vaccinated against depression. They can convey the true value of gratitude, for children who are part of homes, where the tendency is to complain and envy everything they do not have.
- Being subjected to positive emotions leads to other positive emotions. If the human being feels grateful, then he will also feel happy, calm, kind and cheerful and cordial with his relatives and neighbors.
- Gratitude can cause us to have thoughts of gratitude , and therefore positive actions occur. If we feel grateful for how kind they were to us or to a family member, it is a fuel for us to also repay the other people around us with kindness. And so, your gratitude, too, will be positive for the actions of others.
- Through gratitude, solid foundations are built in the building of better interpersonal relationships. By feeling and expressing gratitude to those around us, we create bonds of affection, trust and collaboration with our peers.
The relationship between spirituality and gratitude are two topics that arouse many passions. While it is true that these two virtues are not dependent on each other. It can be inferred that a person with well-marked spiritual values is capable of feeling and acting with greater gratitude than the rest of the people.
Among the different religions that are practiced in the world, including Catholic, Muslim, Buddhist, Jewish, among others, being permanently grateful is a daily practice. It is a custom to make a prayer of gratitude to God, in the different conceptions of him, throughout the day.
For the believers of Judaism, gratitude is an indivisible part of their religion, and is of vital importance in the daily life of the believer. According to the world view of the Hebrews, all things on earth come from God. For this reason, being thankful is very important for its believers.
Of the importance that it has for the Jews, to be grateful, we can see it in two examples of verses of gratitude , which appear in the Book of Psalms, and these are:
“That is why, Lord and God, I cannot remain silent”:
I will sing you hymns of praise and I will always give you thanks!
“Then I will thank the Lord with all my heart”
For Christians it is no secret that when we are grateful, we are molding and giving life to Christian beliefs. Believers in Jesus are fervently convinced that they were created by God, and for this reason they must send messages of gratitude to God for the gift of life to heaven.
Gratitude, seen from the Christian faith, is not simply a feeling, in addition to that, it is a virtue that shapes emotions, thoughts and actions.
The Koran, which is the book of Islam, is full of passages that mention gratitude. It is through Islam, that its faithful believers are raised, who must be grateful to God, in each of the situations that life places them, because through it, they will be rewarded with great pleasures.
The prophet Muhammad, through the scriptures, lets it be known that: “Giving thanks for the abundance you receive is the guarantee that all that abundance will continue.” The foundation of Islam is the practice of daily prayer, to give thanks to God for his infinite goodness.
Gratitude and empirical observations
Over the years, man has been collecting information that has not been verified by science, but nevertheless takes it for granted with a true fact. This is also related to the placebo effect it produces in humans.
Connection with wellness
In general, those people who are grateful tend to be happier, are not invaded by depression, stress, and feel a greater degree of satisfaction with their lives and the social relationships they establish. They are also capable of facing adverse situations, exercising maximum control over them.
When gratitude is present as a lifestyle, it encourages states of adaptation in people to face situations with a more constructivist approach. They tend to be citizens who seek to solve problems, with the assistance of other people, restructure their critical thinking, and learn from lived experiences for future planning.
Gratitude is directly proportional to mental health, without detriment to the other traits that define character. Enormous studies show the possibility that those people, who have as a rule to be grateful, are candidates to have high levels of happiness, and low rates of stress and depression.
relationship with altruism
People who manage themselves in an environment where gratitude is enhanced, are more likely to become or generate conditions of generosity. Many people who are dedicated to the study of these social phenomena affirm that gratitude is proportional to how generous economically, that people can be with their neighbor. This could be called ” The economy of gratitude “, and it is nothing more than the power with which God works, so that those people who have large sums of money, their hearts have mercy and help the most dispossessed.
Considering that gratitude is a preponderant factor for the well-being of human beings, several psychological experiments have been developed to study the increase in gratitude.
Such is the case of the test that consisted of asking the participants to think of a person who was alive, and for whom they felt a deep gratitude. Another of these studies consisted of writing a letter of thanks, which had to be delivered to that person, and a final experiment that had to do with the description of a living room.
The results of the studies showed that those individuals, who had had episodes where an act of gratitude was involved, showed an increase in positive emotions.
Psychological investigations related to gratitude, guide their study to the nature of each personality, and the results of having a greater or lesser degree of gratitude. That is, the greater the ability to thank, in that same proportion, will be able to promote the value of gratitude.
To facilitate its understanding, a regulation was established that encompasses three measurement scales for human behavior when faced with an event that involves thanking one’s peer. Next, we mention it:
- The gratitude scale (GQ-6), quantifies the differences of each person, at the rate of times and intensity, in which people feel gratitude.
- The appreciation scale records variables other than gratitude. In it, people are valued, according to their possessions, the current state, the rites they practice, the feeling of fear, how they compare socially, the anguish, concerns, and behavior, with which they demonstrate their states of gratitude. .
- On the other hand, the Brazilian scale of gratitude (B-GRAT), evaluates the degree of gratitude that the person has towards others, for the world in general, in addition to the absence of feelings of resentment, for what is not possessed.
benefits of gratitude
As gratitude has a social value, this fact triggers downstream, great personal and community contributions. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Increases the feeling of satisfaction, both for those who feel it, as well as for those who receive it.
- It contributes to the reduction of stress, depressive episodes and anxiety.
- Promotes sleep reconciliation.
- It favors social relations, since each of the social actors is recognized, and the impact it causes on the lives of the rest.
- It strengthens people’s self-esteem, and is a source of inspiration to continue having an attitude of generosity and kindness with other people.
gratitude and debt
Being grateful does not mean that we are indebted to that other person, that is, we do not have a moral debt. And, although both sensations are generated once we are the objects of help, the moral debt begins when a person feels that he has an obligation to compensate said help.
Therefore, it can be said that the moral debt is the pressure, which is exerted through reason on the will. That is, it is the ability we have to decide and execute a behavior, compared to a value that refers to a quality that it confers on things, events or people. For example, when we apply for a job, we can write phrases of work gratitude towards that person, but that does not bind us, for life, to feel indebted to him.
Both gratitude and debt translate or trigger different behaviors of people. Moral debt can drive those who receive help to avoid the person who has given them a hand, while the feeling of gratitude can motivate the person to build bridges with their benefactor, and try to improve their relationship with him . For example, when a friend
Develop the habit of gratitude
Generally, feelings of gratitude are generated spontaneously. However, you can learn to develop these kinds of feelings. For example, from the quiet of your room, office or any other place that produces the necessary calm, intentionally review the luck and happiness you have had. That is, make reflections on gratitude and the importance it has to have a full life.
You can do this exercise several times a day, since you create the habit of remembering each of the events that have brought you joy, pleasure and development in your life. By becoming aware of all the things for which you feel grateful, you will be taking the first step towards developing the habit of gratitude.
What is virtue?
Virtue is that property that human beings have, whether natural or learned, that allow them to act in accordance with moral and religious values and the laws of society. And that such behavior can be for their own benefit or that of the other people who make up the social groups.
The Church, after identifying the deadly sins, set out to make known the virtues that would allow human beings to be at bay from evil. Next, we mention them to you.
The Christian virtues
- Faith concentrates on everything concerning God, on what we believe, but cannot see. It is opposed to the sin of pride, which is based on trusting in one’s own abilities rather than in the divine.
- Hope, is to trust that everything will turn out well, despite the inconveniences that arise, you always get ahead with the help of God. Its opposite is envy, wanting what is not yours, by your own efforts.
- Charity, invites you to take an interest in the problems of others, and always be willing to lend a hand. What is contrary to this virtue is anger, which causes pain in other people around you.
- Strength, allows you to resist in the fight, to achieve your dreams. The opposite of strength is reluctance and apathy.
- Justice, you are able to achieve it, when you treat other people with balance and equality. Its opposite is that of lust, which does not allow people to be valued proportionally.
- Prudence, is the ability to act in a measured way, to preserve the economic resources of your home. It is opposed to this virtue, gluttony, which causes excessive expenses, causing you dire consequences.
- Temperance, through this virtue, you can identify what is really essential for you to have a full life. It is opposed by greed, with which you are capable of wanting excessively.
Laws of gratitude that will change your life
When you are grateful, you can change the way you see life. Being grateful leads you to greatness, it is capable of turning what you have into enough, work is no longer a burden, disorder in order, and uncertainty in calm. Here are some principles of gratitude.
The more grateful you are, the more things you attract to be thankful for.
- Be grateful for what you have and you will end up having more.
- Focus on what you don’t have, and you will never have enough.
If you are happy it will not always make you grateful, but if you are grateful it will continually make you happy.
- If you want to appreciate the moment, it will be impossible for you to wrinkle your face at the same time.
- The fact that you are currently happy does not mean that you have wanted more than the rest. It means that you are a being, that he feels grateful for and with what he has.
You will never need more than what God has given you.
- When you say thanks, you are saying the best and most beautiful prayer. Instead of praying for things, it is better to give thanks for what you already have.
- If life gives you reasons to think negatively, remember something that will give you back that positivity again, because there is always something to be thankful for.
In gratitude, everything is included.
- Having some good days gives you happiness, but take those not so good days as life lessons, since both are learned.
- All the things you have experienced have allowed you to move forward, all of which you have to add to your gratitude.
Never forget that the greatest gratitude does not lie in a simple pronunciation, you have to live with it as the basis of every day.
- What is significant is not what you say, it is the way you live it.
- Not only can it be promising, it also matters that you demonstrate it.
In gratitude, it is also worth giving back
- In the daily life of our lives, you can hardly see how much you receive, and how little you are capable of giving.
- Many times, it is easy to overestimate your effort, and if you make a comparison, you will notice the weight that the help of those around you has.
Emilly Stefan The Fear lab was an American author of young adult novels, most known for her fantasy series, Age of the Seventh Sun.